2017 SESSION OF THE TENNESSEE GENERAL ASSEMBLY
Note: Applicant's last name should be included in all saved pdf files. Save the file with the applicant's name before completing the form. Save all entries and attach the pdf file(s) to an email sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants for the Tennessee Legislative Internship Program must be enrolled as juniors, seniors, graduate students, or law students in degree programs in political science, law, history, administration, social work, economics, sociology, journalism, or related fields. Applicants should also have at least a 3.0 GPA.
Interns will be appointed for the 2017 Legislative Session for the period of January 9 until April 29, 2016. (The appointment period is not coterminous with the semester calendar, and school holidays such as spring break are not observed by the General Assembly.)
A stipend of $400 per week will be paid to each intern, plus reimbursement for travel at the prevailing rate per mile for authorized travel between the intern's home institution and Nashville, limited to one round-trip per month. A one-time advance payment of $350 also will be granted to each intern for relocation and adjustment purposes. If there is any change in the amount of stipend paid to each intern, as a result of the meeting with the Sponsoring Committee, the students will be notified prior to their arrival.
UT interns must register for at least 3 credit hours of PS 494 and may register for up to 6 hours of PS 494. This course is graded S/NC. Students also may register for up to 9 hours of PS 492 Off-Campus Study. Requirements for this course (graded A-F) vary with the number of credit hours. (See Dr. Folz for details). No academic credit beyond that awarded for the internship program may be earned during the appointment period if such credit requires attendance at regularly scheduled classes.
Interns will be assigned to work in legislative leadership offices and committees from 8:00 to 4:30 Monday through Friday. Duties will vary from office to office, but may include bill analysis, constituent work, computer and library research, and general office work.
Interns are expected to attend weekly intern meetings. Examples of speakers have included former governors, Tennessee Supreme Court Justices, and the Tennessee Constitutional Officers as well as many other leaders in state government. Interns also have the opportunity to tour Riverbend maximum-security prison, the State Capitol, and the Bicentennial Mall. Other activities of interest include a visit to the Tennessee Supreme Court, mock legislative session, and competing with legislators in basketball.
To apply for a legislative internship, UTK students should do the following:
- Download and complete the application, naming the file with your name and type of file, e.g.: Chris Doe application
- Type and save as a separate pdf or Word file a two to three page autobiography as described in the application that will enable the selection committee to learn more about you and your writing skills. Name this file with your name and the type of file, e.g.: Chris Doe autobiography
- Scan a current copy of your transcript (not your academic history) and save this as a pdf file with your name and the type of file, e.g. Chris Doe transcript.pdf
- Send a copy the appraisal form (or link) to the individuals identified on your application as faculty who will be completing an appraisal form for you. Ask your appraisers to save their file with your name and the word 'appraisal.' Please remind each appraiser to submit their file by email attachment to email@example.com no later than Oct. 7, 2016.
All Applications with the items above must be completed and submitted electronically (via email attachment) to Dr. David H. Folz (firstname.lastname@example.org), the UTK faculty representative for the TLIP program, no later than Friday October 7, 2016 at 4:00pm. Earlier submissions are encouraged. Completed applications include the following five electronic files (file formats must be pdf documents):
- 2-3 page typed autobiography
- A copy of your most recent transcript
- Appraisal #1
- Appraisal #2
If you have questions or need more information, please contact Dr. David H. Folz at email@example.com or 974-0802.