A person not enrolled in a graduate program at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, who desires admission to the graduate program in Political Science should obtain a Graduate School Catalog and read carefully the full description of the admission procedure. Specific department admission requirements are as follows:
- An applicant must normally have earned at least a 3.0 overall GPA in all undergraduate work;
- An applicant must normally have earned at least a 3.2 GPA in all Political Science courses during the last two years of undergraduate study;
- An applicant to the Ph.D. program, must normally have earned at least a 3.5 overall GPA in all work taken for graduate credit;
- An applicant must normally have scored at least 302 combined on the verbal and quantitative sections of the Graduate Record Examination.
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals familiar with the applicant’s potential for graduate study should be sent to the department of political science
International applicants must, in general, meet the requirements stipulated above. In addition, international students may need to submit TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) scores totaling at least 550 (or 80 on the TOEFL iBT or 6.5 on the IELTS) to be considered for admission. Please click here for specific details on which international students must supply TOEFL scores.
YOU MUST BE ACCEPTED BY THE GRADUATE SCHOOL AS WELL AS THE DEPARTMENT TO ENROLL.